This is a highly-rated one-day course, taught on the Hiwassee River by TVCC’s very own Team Safety. It is designed to give new and less-experienced paddlers some basic river rescue skills and make you a more confident boater! We put this event on each year in the middle of paddling season just for you. It works and it’s fun!
- Course Contents:
- Basic First Aid, CPR Techniques, and Rescue Breathing
- What to Wear and When to Wear It
- What to Carry With You and Why
- Deep Water Boat Exit, Reentry, & Recovery
- Properly Towing of a Swimmer (and how to be a swimmer getting towed!)
- Proper Equipment Recovery Techniques
- Properly Throwing/Catching a Rescue Rope
- Proper Swift Water Wading Techniques
- Boat Based Rescues
- Proper Rafting-Up techniques, and …
- YES – Whitewater Swimming (you will swim Devil Shoals!)
All classes are taught in a “challenge by choice” style.
- Basic plan is: land-based classes in the morning; Grab a quick lunch; Hit the river all afternoon!
- Bring all your paddling gear (min of 5 items!) or make your own arrangements to borrow what you need
- You will be assigned to an expert-led small group; Each group will paddle to different training stations on the river and practice the planned rescue skill(s) at each station
- At the end of the day there will be an awards ceremony, dinner, and lies will be swapped till it gets late!
- Bring a side-dish to support the dinner; TVCC supplies the main course and primary re-hydration refreshment!